Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Favorite Newberries

Last night I dreamt I got in a fight with someone because they called Children's/YA books "trite." What they actually said was, "touche," but you know how sometimes in dreams things mean something else and you know it even though it doesn't make any sense? It was like that.

Anyway, in honor of "touche" children's literature, a list of my five favorite Newbery Winners.

1. Bridge to Terabithia 
Katherine Paterson
I swear, this book ends up on every "favorites" or "top 10" list I make that it's eligible for. I love it so much. If you haven't read it yet, buy yourself a box of tissues and sit down and read it. Because it's amazing. And the movie is pretty good too, actually.

2. Criss Cross
Lynne Rae Perkins
One of the more recent winners (2006), this book seriously deserved it. Perkins is a master of words and this book, like her earlier All Alone in the Universe completely resonated with me. It's a very character-driven story that sometimes seems to be lacking in plot, but all the different threads of this book come together so perfectly. It's incredible.

3. The View from Saturday
E. L. Konigsburg
Please don't ambush me for thinking this is better than the formidable The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Because it really is the best.

4. The Higher Power of Lucky
Susan Patron
There's just something wonderful about this book. Probably, um, the whole entire thing, actually.

5. Ginger Pye
Eleanor Estes
This book is definitely the oldest on my list -- it won in 1952 -- and I haven't read it in ages, but I remember absolutely loving it.

What are your favorite Newberries?






1 comment:

  1. I love From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Dear Mr. Henshaw, and The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

    ReplyDelete