Monday, December 6, 2010

Favorite Titles

I'm nearing the end of edits for what I've been calling #thebandbook, a novel that has had umpteen thousand titles so far. As I near the possible end of this editing journey and start to think of what I'm going to call it when I query, I'm looking at my favorite YA titles for inspiration.

Looking at my shelves (both the literal shelves and Goodreads), I'm noticing a few definite trends in what I like:

  • Cute titles that include the character's name.
  • Titles that sound like they could very easily be for a self-help or other nonfiction work.
Here's a short list of my favorite titles for YA books. Unfortunately, the title I have in mind for my own book doesn't exactly follow either of the above favorite trends (although maybe, possibly, if I stretched my mind, it could be the title of a memoir).


The Year of Secret Assignments
The Unwritten Rule
The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June
The Summer I Turned Pretty
Love You Hate You Miss You
Some Girls Are
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
The Boyfriend List
The Rules of Survival


So, with this in mind, a couple of questions. What are some of your favorite titles? And are there any particular trends you see in your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Any with names in them is a big trend with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorites are:

    Under this Unbroken Sky
    Brightly Woven
    The Hate List
    The Stolen One
    An Assembly Such as This

    I also really like the title on your list, "The Summer I Turned Pretty." The title has definitely been what drew me to it.

    ReplyDelete