Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF: Required Reading

Today's TGIF question from GReads is:

Which book from your school days do you remember reading and enjoying? Is there a book published today that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?


Mostly I wasn't ever a fan of required reading in school and I missed out on being forced to read the typical books -- I never read Romeo & Juliet and when I read To Kill A Mockingbird it was just for fun. That said, there were a few "required reading" books I really loved.


The Chosen, by Chaim Potok - I read this one in ninth grade and while I don't remember much of it, I remember absolutely loving the complexity of the relationships portrayed in this book.

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury - Honestly I don't remember when I read this one, but just, how can you not think it's awesome? You can't.

As for current books that I think should be required reading, one of the main ones that comes to mind is The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta. I'm not entirely sure why except that the writing here is so good and the story encompasses so many characters, relationships, and points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment