Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Ten: Quotes

This week's topic from The Broke and the Bookish is top ten favorite quotes. I thought this would be a perfect topic for me thanks to my notebook full of lines and passages from the books I read (my quote-book), but as it turns out it's impossible to choose my ten favorites. I have funny quotes, quotes that remind me of myself or something in my own life, quotes that are just flat-out gorgeously written, etc. And narrowing them down is too hard. Additionally, I know there are quotes I love that somehow haven't made it into the book. BUT ANYWAY. I've decided to choose my top ten quotes from books I've read (and managed to add to the book) this year.

In truth, it always hurt. It always hurt not to breathe like a normal person.
--The Fault In Our Stars, pg. 45

"I believe in true love, you know? I don't believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does."
--The Fault In Our Stars, pg. 75 (Isaac)

"I don't think defeatism is honest," Dad answered. "I refuse to accept that." 
--The Fault In Our Stars, pg. 222

 This warm rush comes over me, like we're all in this giant snow globe together, a perfect moment captured under the glass, all histories and futures forgotten.
--Bittersweet, pg. 151-152

"Friends or not, I don't want to spend the rest of my life hating you."
--Bittersweet, pg. 243 (Kara)

In recent years her joy at seeing them was always mixed with anxiety that there would be some telltale change... a this or a that, that would separate one of them from the rest, or from their bond or from the past.
--Sisterhood Everlasting, pg. 46

That's how it feels to me. Everyone is doing it; everyone knows how. To live and be who they are and find a place, find a moment. I'm still waiting.
--How To Save A Life, pg. 157 (Mandy)

"You don't know. All kinds of people make all kinds of decisions that aren't by the book, and they have their reasons."
--How To Save A Life, pg. 161 (Dylan)

"I'm still going to love you, always. And in the rock-paper-scissors of life, love is rock. Fear, anger, everything else... no contest." Love is rock.
 --How To Save A Life, pg. 328 (Dylan)

And this last quote that's too long to be formatted like the rest but that I absolutely love.

"Oh my God," I say, pushing Thomas out of the way. "It's the tuba guy."
"The what?"
"This guy that Justine likes. He's in the same youth orchestra as her, but she's never spoken to him. He looks at her at the bus stop every morning, but there's no way that he'll ever know her name because she's so tongue-tied around him."
"Those relationships go nowhere," Thomas says. "Six years down the track you're still referring to her as the 'chick with the ponytail at the bus stop.' Tell her to stay away from it. It'll only end in heartbreak."

--Saving Francesca, pg. 173

2 comments:

  1. I seriously need to read TFioS. How have I managed to go so long without doing so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Keri, somehow I still have not read it either. Every time I see a quote from it though, I remember that I should have already read it!

      Delete