Monday, November 19, 2012

a book history since working

My reading habits have changed a bit since I started working regularly; I still read a lot, but it's mostly relegated to nights and lunch breaks now. I thought it might be interesting, in light of this, to take a look at my book history since starting my new job.

Books Read Since Oct. 5th: 6
This is not a ton. But I'd say that six books in about a month and a half is still pretty good - averages to a book a week. 3 of these were YA (2 contemporary & 1 sci-fi); 1 was middle grade; 1 was adult/mainstream fiction; and 1 was nonfiction/memoir.

Books Abandoned since Oct. 5th: 4
This is actually not as big a number as it seems; all of these were purchased from the used bookstore and as great as used is for finding rare gems, I end up abandoning a fair number of the books I purchase secondhand. 1 historical fiction; 1 steampunk YA; 1 middle grade; and 1 nonfiction.

The Best Book I Read: This one's a tie. The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-Ups, and Winning at All Costs, by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle. I'm not really a cycling fan (though watching the cycling during the Olympics this year was amazing), but this book was still brilliant for so many reasons. Also For Darkness Shows the Stars, by Diana Peterfreund, which made me wish I'd read Persuasion, by Jane Austen, before reading this futuristic sci-fi take on it. As with The Secret Race, it was utterly brilliant. And I'm so glad to find a great sci-fi that isn't the start of a trilogy.

Books Bought: 5 new & 5 used
The 5 new books were 3 YA; 1 nonfiction; and 1 adult/mainstream. The 5 used were 2 YA; 1 nonfiction; 1 middle grade; and 1 historical fiction.

Up Next: 
Either a reread of Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi (now that I finally have the paperback!) or I'll read Jellicoe Road, by Melina Marchetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment